Dec 15, 2016
In Episode #137, Neil and Eric discuss the importance of knowing
how to control your crawl budget. Tune in to discover how the
quality of your pages affects your crawl budget and, in turn, can
directly influence the level of traffic to your website.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: Why and How You Should Control Your
- 00:35 – The definition of a crawl budget
- 01:09 – “Every site has a limited crawl budget”
- 01:28 – Control what pages Google crawls and have them crawl
your most important ones
- 02:02 – Make sure the Google Search
Console is installed
- 02:50 – Consider removing low quality pages from your website
or use robotstxt to block
Google from crawling them
- 03:21 – Deleting content can sometimes increase traffic
- 03:35 – Look at impressions in your Google Search Console
- 04:11 – Link and direct more people to high quality pages
- 04:29 – WhitePages
block off a lot of pages
- 05:03 – Check the crawl error section in your Google Search
- 06:20 – The faster your servers, the more pages are
- 07:05 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- A crawl budget is the maximum amount of pages Google crawls on
- Keep your high quality pages up and running, then FOCUS your
energy on linking people to those pages.
- Make sure you have a fast server so your website is crawled
- What should we talk about
next? Please let us know in the comments
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please
leave a short review.