Jul 13, 2017
In Episode #347, Eric and Neil discuss why big brands get away
with spammy link building. Tune in to learn how Google has changed
their algorithms, making businesses think twice about using shady
link tactics. And even if these tactics work, find out why it’s
still not recommended for you to use them.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: Why Do Big Brands Get Away With
Spammy Link Building?
- 00:44 – Big companies like Google and Amazon make hundreds of millions of
- 00:50 – The over-optimization cup
- 01:01 – Once it overflows, you’ll get hit with penalties and
- 01:08 – A new site or brand has a smaller margin of error
- 02:06 – One of hardest indicators to manipulate is brand craze
- 02:10 – This is when more and more people are searching for
- 02:30 – When Google knows that you’re a big brand, it’s harder
for them to remove you
- 02:38 – Google just penalizes a big brand for shady link
- 03:05 – Google notices that people will turn to other search
engines when they don’t see the big brands from the search
- 03:08 – Google now does not penalize big brands as easily
- 03:23 – A lot of industries are using shady link tactics
- 03:58 – Google has adapted different algorithms to determine if
a brand should be penalized
- 04:30 – Google now tries to showcase the best sites first
- 04:27 – Viper Chill’s How 16
Companies Are Dominating the World’s Google Search Result
- 05:08 – Hearst Media started BestProducts
- 05:24 – The total number of visits skyrocketed in just a few
- 06:05 – SEO out-playing still happens
- 06:29 – If you’re creating too much possibility by doing
something wrong, it will look bad
- 06:46 – Shady tactics still work but is NOT recommended
- 07:00 – Top keywords from SEMrush
- 07:31 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- People tend to use a different search engines when they don’t
see the brands that they want from the search results.
- Shady tactics are still being used today and while they work,
they aren’t recommended.
- Google now shows the best sites first.
- What should we talk about
next? Please let us know in the comments
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please
leave a short review.