Oct 6, 2016
In Episode #67, Neil and Eric discuss the importance of making a
marketing hire—who it should be and why. Listen as Eric and Neil
enumerate the positions you’ll want to fill in first, why getting
somebody smarter than you is essential, and how paying a smaller
salary with bonuses makes marketers work harder.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:28 – Today’s topic: Who should your first marketing hire
- 00:50 – Hire an executive assistant
- 01:26 – If you understand marketing within your organization,
hire someone who compliments you
- 02:10 – Don’t hire someone with the same skill sets as you
- 02:22 – You want people who are self sufficient
- 02:34 – Why you should not hire a big person
- 03:28 – You need a person that can evolve into a growth
- 04:00 – In interviews, ask what applicants would do
- 04:24 – Hire someone tactical
- 05::26 – Your job as CEO is to hire people who are smarter than
- 06:06 – It’s very hard to find great marketers
- 06:19 – Put people through a trial period
- 06:57 – Referrals is number one
- 07:11 –
Forced Hiring Growth Everywhere
- 07:51 – Pay a smaller salary and pay a portion as a bonus
- 08:26 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Hire people who are smarter than you.
- Don’t hire “big people” if you’re still starting.
- Paying a smaller salary with bonuses will make your marketer
- What should we talk about
next? Please let us know in the comments
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please
leave a short review.