In Episode #55 Neil and Eric discuss tried and true strategies for making the most of a website that is no longer in use. Listen as they talk 301 re-directs, domain name investments, scrappy partnerships, and more.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:25 – Today’s topic: What Should You Do with a Website that Is No Longer in Use?
- 00:35 – Neil usually does a 301 redirect to another digital property, or sells the domain
- 00:50 – Check out flippa to sell
- 01:09 – Rent the website as well
- 01:29 – Empire Flippers and FEinternational.com
- 01:58 – Eric just acquired another gun blog
- 02:10 – Used a 301 to drive that blog to his site
- 02:38 – 301 redirect EACH page and renew the domain for a very long time
- 03:10 – Redirect no less than the Top 25 pages driving traffic
- 03:35 – See what competitors are doing to make money
- 04:00 – If you drive the same amount of traffic, why aren’t you making the same amount of money?
- 04:20 – Finding website brokers
- 04:35 – Owning a premium domain name is a GREAT way to make money
- 05:03 – Why aren’t you doing anything with your site?
- 05:39 – Don’t be afraid to partner with someone who’s scrappier and hungrier than you
3 Key Points:
- Take advantage of 301 redirects.
- If you’re thinking about terminating your website, ask yourself WHY before doing so and evaluate the alternative options.
- Always hold on to a premium domain—that’s a digital real estate investment.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us: