Apr 10, 2017
In Episode #253, Eric and Neil discuss what negative SEO is.
Tune in to know how you can protect your site from negative SEO and
the way Google works in regards to dishing out penalties and
pushing one’s website ranking down.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: What Is Negative SEO?
- 00:32 – Negative SEO is when someone pushes your SEO down
- 00:43 – A good example of this is when someone builds porn or
casino links to your site
- 00:56 – It becomes negative SEO when you begin to rank
- 01:03 – Negative SEO is when Google starts to filter you
- 01:13 – Eric thinks of SEO as an over-optimization cup
- 01:21 – Each size has a different cup size
- 01:23 – Big sites like Amazon have bigger cups and more room
- 01:57 – Once you hit your cup limit, that’s when Google starts
to hit you with penalties
- 02:37 – Neil sees this happening in the aggressive
- 02:46 – Some people are taking websites that have spammy links
and they link them to their website
- 03:00 – Google is improving their algorithm to fight negative
- 03:11 – Make sure you continue to update your disavow file with
- 03:50 – Eric doesn’t worry about negative SEO as much as he did
- 04:03 – The Marketing School is giving away 5 annual copies of
Ahrefs this week
- 05:14 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Negative SEO pushes your ranking down—beware of people who
links with negative content to your site.
- Consistently track and update your disavow file— this will help
- In the end, don’t worry too much about negative SEO as there is
only so much you can do.
- What should we talk about
next? Please let us know in the comments
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please
leave a short review.