May 17, 2019
In episode #1020, we discuss
Neil’s billion dollar mistake. Tune in to hear where Neil went
We have committed to throwing a
FREE Marketing School Live Event in Los Angeles. Check out the
details on this
website if you would
like to attend. Remember: we are capping the event at 500 people,
so sign up now, if you’re interested!
DM Eric if you would like to participate in the VIP
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: Neil’s
Billion Dollar Mistake
- [00:40] Kissmetrics was part of the mistake.
- [01:05] Neil’s former partner
broke down their mistake in a blog post on Product Habits.
- [01:28] They built a product
they thought was needed.
- [01:40] They learned no matter
what you build, people don’t want to pay for things.
- [01:55] Version 2 required too
- [02:40] They found people
couldn’t get a lot of value out of their Google
- [03:05] Neil and his partner
just needed to find what the gaps were, but it took them too
- [03:50] Kissmetrics feel behind
- [04:10] They would often change
directions, which was not a good idea and not great for the
- [04:30] They should have
executed quickly, but they didn’t or couldn’t.
- [05:20] Neil thinks they made
too many mistakes.
- [05:30] The biggest issue was a
class action litigation.
- [06:00] They can only blame
- [06:04] They spent too many
years building the wrong product and didn’t know how to
- [06:06] That’s it for
- [06:17] Don’t forget to check
out Single Grain for more info about our free live event in
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next?
Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so,
please leave a short review.
Connect with us: