Oct 24, 2018
In episode #815, Eric and Neil
discuss their failed attempts at content marketing. Tune in to
learn from their mistakes.
Eric and Neil have committed to
throwing a FREE Marketing School Live Event in Los Angeles, once
Marketing School reaches 1M downloads in a 30 day period. Take
action: Rate, review, subscribe, and SHARE. Check the
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic:
My Failed Attempt at Content
- [00:40] Whenever a new game
comes out, there are marketers who jump at the chance to write
guides for the hottest releases.
- [00:57] Eric was one of those
people and when Portal 2 came out, he made a website that served as a
guide for the game.
- [01:05] He then decided he was
going to write crappy articles and then get a bunch of links from
black hat websites.
- [01:27] His traffic spiked, but
then after a week, Google caught on to him and his site and traffic
- [01:44] Neil’s worst attempt at
content marketing was creating a form called, “Traffic and
- [01:58] He got hit by a
webmaster notification tool that said his content was
- [02:04] He realized a lot of
people were spamming his form, so he cleaned it up.
- [02:11] The lesson he learned
was that user-generated content doesn’t rank as well as original,
- [03:19] It takes time to build
a following and a lot of it comes down to promotion.
- [03:31] Content and links are
the most important factors of SEO.
- [03:45] You have to figure out
how to promote your site, product, content. Etc.
- [03:57] Promotion always
- [04:00] Another of Neil’s
failed attempts was with a site “Online Poker Lowdown”.
- [04:05] He ranked on page one
for the term “online poker”, but it dropped because there was very
little useful information.
- [05:00] Quality
- [05:06] If your content sucks,
you will lose your ranking.
- [05:45] Instead of hustling,
create content about topics you like.
- [06:19] That’s it for
- [06:24] Go here to see how many downloads the show is getting.
Also rate and review to help Eric and Neil meet their goal of 1
Million downloads per month. Hopefully, we’ll see you at the live
event in L.A.!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about
next? Please let us know in the comments
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please
leave a short review.
Connect with us: