May 9, 2017
In Episode #282, Eric and Neil discuss if it is important to
become Google certified. Tune in to learn what Eric received from
his Google certification, the importance of creating a culture of
learning in your business, and why Neil believes being creative is
a KEY trait for success.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: Is It Important to Become Google
- 00:34 – Neil thinks it’s not important and that it’s actually
- 00:42 – Eric got certified a couple of years ago
- 01:10 – “Any person can learn how to use Google AdWords”
- 01:20 – The hard part in becoming a really good PPC manager is
- 01:27 – Google AdWords’ certification can’t make you
- 01:36 – Neil is lucky enough to be creative and he thinks
outside the box
- 02:00 – Eric looks at the certifications of juniors before
hiring them, just so he knows that they have the baseline knowledge
- 02:31 – It is the same thing with people who have a bachelor’s
- 02:52 – Having a certificate doesn’t mean that you’re going to
be good at it
- 03:10 – Google account reps don’t really know about the
accounts and just want people to spend more
- 03:24 – Most of Neil’s employees are from Ivy League schools
and most of them haven’t worked out that well
- 03:44 – They’re better in memorizing than solving problems that
- 04:02 – Neil’s CTO in Crazy
Egg doesn’t have a college degree, but is one of the smartest
people Neil knows
- 04:10 – Neil has also hired people who have no certification,
but “out-knowledged” those he hired with certificates
- 04:30 – Eric is more interested with those who are willing to
- 05:08 – Marketing
School is giving away an access to Yesware, a sales tool that allows you
to track the messages you send
- 05:20 – Subscribe, rate and review Marketing School
- 05:22 – Text MARKETINGSCHOOL to 33444
- 05:40 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Creativity is what WINS in the end.
- Create a culture of learning in your business.
- When hiring, don’t just look at certifications—how well can
that applicant problem solve or apply their knowledge?
- What should we talk about
next? Please let us know in the comments
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please
leave a short review.