Jan 23, 2017
In Episode #176, Eric and Neil discuss how topical relevancy can
boost your ranking. It’s important to know how your keywords and
content work against and for you through Google’s ranking systems.
Tune in to know how to master topical relevancy and how checking
your competitors’ work can help you climb to a better rank.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 - Today’s topic: How Topical Relevancy Can Boost Your
- 00:34 – Topical relevancy allows the small guys to compete with
the big guys
- 00:49 – Neil explains how Google ranks websites according to
- 01:16 – SingleGrain
ranks for marketing related keywords
- 01:43 – Google can’t seem to find the right keywords for
Growth Everywhere which
describes the stories of entrepreneurs
- 02:20 – It is important to have strong topical relevancy when
starting your website
- 03:03 – Focus on a specific topic
- 03:35 – Being the best on one topic is what topical relevancy
- 04:20 – Marketmuse
suggests all the phrases and terms that you should be using with
your website if you want to be topically relevant
- 04:39 – Check similar websites in your space using SEMrush and Ahrefs Tool
- 04:55 – FamousBirthdays.com is about celebrity birthdays, is
focused on just one topic, and drives millions of visitors
- 05:10 – “Always look at your competition”
- 05:25 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Google will most likely rank a website that is SEO focused
higher than the one that is marketing focused.
- Focus on a specific topic—being the best on one topic is what
topical relevancy is all about.
- Always look at your competition—check the topics they are using
and monitor their ranking.
- What should we talk about
next? Please let us know in the comments
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please
leave a short review.