Dec 24, 2016
In Episode #146, Eric and Neil teach us how to migrate a
website. Whether it’s for a redesign, server improvement, new
services offered, or overall better customer experience—at some
point, you’ll need to migrate your website to a new one. Tune in as
Neil and Eric walk us through the steps of website migration and as
they offer us valuable tips to make this process stress-free and
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: How to Do a Website
- 00:33 – Why migrate a website?
- 01:02 – You’re usually migrating servers as well
- 01:34 – Make sure you have a backup of your website
- 01:51 – Duplicate your site to the new server
- 02:04 – Have everyone check both sites
- 02:25 – Use a tool like Screaming Frog to crawl your
website and see what’s happening on the old site
- 02:51 – Redirect the top pages to the most relevant pages
- 03:52 – Be careful when redesigning your website as you migrate
- 04:29 – Neil mentions a story from Eric’s website
- 04:58 – Have the right structures in place
- 05:28 – Neil tells his share of website migration errors
- 06:29 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Before making any changes, decide if website migration is the
right thing to do.
- Creating a backup or having website duplicates should be your
FIRST step before migrating.
- Remember to test everything first before redirecting people to
your new website.
- What should we talk about
next? Please let us know in the comments
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please
leave a short review.