Welcome to The Marketing School Podcast—your resource to learn, grown, and nurture your passion for online marketing! In Episode #4 Eric and Neil center the conversation on, How to Get a Job in Marketing. Enjoy!
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:47 – Neil has lots of experience hiring marketers
- 01:03 – Never read resumes—they’re bullshit
- 01:25 – Put wannabe marketers on the hot seat
- 02:25 – If you don’t have your own website, how can you say you’ve ever marketed?
- 03:50 – Hire people to add value, not just fill rolls
- 04:15 – Stand out from the crowd
- 04:54 – Eric’s first marketing job
- 05:29 – Deliver work that is above and beyond
- 05:44 – Don’t obsess about theory in job interviews—share your wins, your actions and results
- 06:22 – The best marketers out there know how to think outside the box
- 07:45 – Creativity is the key to shining
- 08:23 – IF you want to show people you know what you’re talking about—create content for your application, a PDF, a screencast, SOMETHING
- 09:43 – Put yourself in the employers’ shoes—would you hire someone who just gives you a resume or would you hire someone that goes above and beyond?
3 Key Points:
- If it was YOUR company, would you hire someone that just sends you a resume, or would you hire someone that goes above and beyond?
- When you’re trying to get a job in marketing demonstrate that you’ve worked in marketing!—you need to know more than theory.
- Don’t rely on your resume because resumes are bullshit—find a way to stand out!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us: